We worked with a large manufacturing business whose production sites stretch across Europe. They’re one of the largest companies in their sector, and their team supplies products for key projects across the UK.
Some of the required roles included:
- Maintenance technician
- Maintenance engineers
- Mechanical specialists
- Electrical specialists
- Instrumentation professionals
The client has an ongoing requirement for a large number of maintenance technicians and maintenance engineers, but suffers from a very poor reputation within the local employment market.
- The client’s reputation led to a lack of ability to attract the right candidates, and this placed more pressure on the existing team. The added tension and increased demands led to higher staff turnover.
- Salaries had fallen below the market average, and the market had become very candidate-driven.
- Senior executives were removed from the situation and were unaware of the existing issues.
Sigma worked with the client’s HR business partners to provide salary benchmarking for similar maintenance engineering roles with other companies in the local area, in order to address the pay-based challenges with their hiring. We also worked on surveying and researching their reputation-based problems.
- Sigma Recruitment conducted an extensive feedback survey by speaking to candidates with relevant skills. This feedback was presented to the client on a weekly basis, including the comments made by candidates about the client’s business.
- The issues raised by candidates were categorised and evaluated. Sigma then worked with the client to create a microsite to address the critical concerns that candidates had raised.
- When speaking to candidates who declined the job based on known issues, Sigma reached out again with a link to the microsite, explaining why they should reconsider. It now receives an average of 300 page views per month.
The microsite convinced several candidates to change their minds, and some have since been hired by the client. This has helped to relieve some of the pressure on existing staff, and retention has improved.
The client has started to invest in addressing some of the issues repeatedly raised by candidates, and taken active measures to improve the working environment and their reputation. They’ve also increased salaries as a result of the salary bench marking feedback, which has boosted their appeal in the market.
In addition to supporting on these vacancies, the Sigma Recruitment team has also supported this client with roles including engineering manager, instrumentation engineer, process engineer, graduate electrical and mechanical engineer, health and safety manager, buyer and operations manager.
About Sigma Recruitment
Since Sigma Recruitment opened for business back in 2005, we’ve developed an enviable reputation as one of the leading independent manufacturing and engineering recruitment agencies. We’ve recruited for a wide variety of companies, from Fortune 500 firms with sales in the hundreds of billions to niche high-tech start-ups and everything in between, across the United Kingdom including locations such as Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Bristol, Birmingham, Cambridge, Gloucester, Leeds, Manchester, Oxford, Reading and Swindon.
If you’re looking to recruit candidates with engineering or technical skills in the steel, power generation or energy sectors then, Sigma Recruitment is ideally placed to help you find the elusive high calibre talent you’re business needs. If you’re looking for a heavy industrial recruiter, then please book a call with our founding director today! And we will show you why we are one of the leading manufacturing and engineering recruitment agencies in the UK.