Relocating to Wales
The Sigma Recruitment guide for candidates relocating to South Wales
Find out more about South Wales, what’s on offer and why you should relocate!
Living in Wales
- Wales has some of the lowest living costs in the United Kingdom and most of the population enjoy a high standard of living.
- Living costs in Wales do depend on your location, employment and circumstances. However, historically Wales has had lower costs on items such as accommodation, travel, food, entertainment, shopping and services. Property prices, council tax and basic expenses all generally fall below the UK average.
- The NHS in Wales spends more per person than in England, just over £2,000 compared with £1,900.
- Prescriptions are free
- World class sports and cultural destinations including the Millennium Stadium, Wales National Velodrome and the Wales Millennium Centre.
- Another factor in Wales’s favour: cheaper housing. The national average house value is £153,299. The average for the UK as a whole is £238,293.
To find out more about what’s on offer in South Wales view our Quick Tour of South Wales pages.
Business in Wales – Why move to Wales?
The manufacturing sector in Wales employs around 150,000 people and turns over a massive £38.6 billion every year. In the last 40 years, over 700 international companies have located in Wales.
In aerospace and defence, Wales is a hotbed of R&D, and home to over 20% of the UK’s maintenance repair & overhaul works.
In the automotive sector, Wales has invested over £40 million in low carbon projects.
Photonics is booming in Wales too, with Welsh photonics research developing a global reputation, both for innovation and exploitation of commercial value.
And, high above the West Wales coast and stretching out to sea, you’ll find a dedicated airspace for unmanned aircraft systems and remotely piloted ariel systems.
Add to that the three new dedicated Enterprise Zones and you have proof that business, government and universities are all working together to set new standards.
Our Relocating to South Wales guide is available in PDF format – A Guide to Relocating to South Wales